Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Doro Wot, Doro Wot!

So Sunday night the older girls were in charge of making Doro Wot, a traditional dish made with chicken and boiled eggs. Two chickens were bought and literally sloughtered at the Village of Hope by the guard! Helen and I had fun taking pics of the older girls and helping stir the very spicy stew that the chicken is simmered in.


Longaley (15) liming the chicken


Stirring the wot!!

Mariama, one of our little children has gillyworm and the eggs have started to burst from her head. In order to keep her clean she had to have her head shaved. She cried and cried, but after Helen gave her some gum to chew on she seemed to do fine. Emuti, another little girl here really wanted her head shaved and was screaming "yes, yes, yes" the whole way to the barber. As soon as both girls got home with their new do's the kids ridiculed Emuti and she cried the whole night. It shouldn't have been funny, but with how ironic the situation was, Helen, Steff and I now have a running joke, "Yes, Yes, Yes" "No, No, Nooo!!" I've been playing miss nurse, and last night I tried to soak Mariama's foot to coax the worm out. It's head broke out but I was too aggressive and it retreated back into her foot. Helen and Steff are fine with my interest in parasites, and Helen and I are fine with Steff taking on diaper duty for the twins since their mom was asked to leave.

Mariama!!


Balditu, the twin that has been pretty sick, is doing much better and has been keeping down her meds. That's her in my arms. Last night we played night games outside ane everyone had a blast. In the pic: Chaltu (13/14), Me, Balditu, Teyeba (8), Helen, Mariama (7/8), Ayisha (12/13)
This is cute little Benjamin. I mostly put this pic on for Sister Lee to send to Nicole Brouwer. He's 7 months old and so adorable. He's left out of most pics due to his inability to walk and lack of desire to cry for attention, he is so well behaved.



No comments: