I have made it! Hoorah, Hoorah! I forgot how lonely traveling alone can really be, especially 24 hours of sitting on a plane by yourself! The first leg from SLC to JFK I can't really recall at this point. The British Airways people at JFK were very rude though, or maybe it was because I had such great service from them last year I held them to such high expectations. What can I say, I don't like being told how to check myself into my flight by some women breathing down my neck. Anyways, sat in the JFK airport for six hours for my lay-over, got some good reading in.
Red eye to London. Slept very comfortably in fact. The BEST article I brought on this trip thus far has been my down pillow. And guess what? It doesn't count against you as a carry on! In London I discovered that security has reduced your carry-on's to one. I therefore shoved everything from my backpack into my messenger bag and had one, very heavy carry on, in addition to my pillow, which still did not count against me! London to Addis was nice. Not very many people on the plane so I got to stretch out on my own row. I tried to sleep as much as possible so that I wouldn't have horrible jet lag. Drank lots of water too. As soon as I got off the plane in Addis Ababa the distinct smell of Ethiopia hit me and floods of memories came back from last year. There is a certain smell for Ethiopia, and not necessarily a pleasant one at that. The best I can describe is dirt, spoiled milk and body odor all rolled into a smooth distinct fragrance that permeates from every building, body and bovine in this country.
Steffanie from the Village and the Woodruff's, the new charity missionaries from Alberta, Canada were there at the airport right on time to pick me up. I must say it was quite different from last year when I waited around for ten hours to be picked up by perfect strangers. We drove out to their house on the eastern outskirts of Addis. They live in a very nice house for Ethiopian standards. It has multiple bathrooms with flushing toilets, showers, sinks and they even have a MICROWAVE! We had pancakes for breakfast which is something I should not even think of getting used to because it will be Ethiopian food from here on out. Steffanie and I are staying one more night here and then we'll drive out to the orphanage tomorrow after she has finished some business here.
I love you all! God bless!
Jenelle
Friday, May 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment