Friends and Family,
I am sad and happy to announce that I am coming home early. What was thought to be the mumps had progressed into something much worse. The symptoms weren't proving to relate to the mumps and white patches were starting to grow on the back of my throat. A visit to the doctor confirmed that it wasn't the mumps but tonsillitis or perhaps strep throat, a culture cannot be taken and would not be accurate so a perfect diagnoses is impossible.
Nevertheless, the medication has not improved the situation at all, and I have been in so much pain recently that I cannot swallow, let alone barely breath. I have had many sleepless nights, where I have maybe fallen asleep for 20 minutes but the second I swallow in my sleep I am awoken by the pain. I have also been battling a fever and the chills. Yesterday I woke up in so much pain Steffanie suggested I just go home. I packed my bag up and went and said goodbye to the children. Needless to say I cried really bad leaving those kids. Dibabe was the hardest one to say goodbye too, but indeed she was the strongest. She didn't cry but said, "It's okay, you need to go".
I stayed with the couple missionaries yesterday. They took me to an American Doctor that's recommended by the embassy. He said there's nothing more I can do, but it might be better if I go home. I didn't want to leave yesterday because I was in so much pain I didn't want to fly. I woke up this morning not feeling much better and decided it is better I fly home now and perhaps get a great painkiller or my tonsils removed rather than waiting through the pain. We went down to the airport and British Airways said they could get me on the next flight tomorrow morning at 7:30 am, with a hefty cost attached. I called my parents at what was 5 am their time. My dad was so amazing and told me not to worry about the price, and that him and my mom would take care of my domestic flight from New York to Portland. I should be home by Saturday.
This past week has been filled with great memories though, despite being ill and not feeling up to par. Sunday was my last week with the small branch I have been attending for the past three months, all six of us were there (Emanuel, his three sons, Steff and I). How I will miss the closeness felt in such a small branch. Emanuel's son is looking to go on a mission soon and I wish him the best.
Longalee was hospitalized because of her lack of fluids. She was released Tuesday and is doing much better. She had malaria, typhoid and typhus. She is such a brave soul. I would have hated to sleep in the room she stayed in for five days! She had plenty of guests though!
Monday and Tuesday night I went out on walks with Andre and then Fayissa. I got some beautiful shots of the village and the scenery. It had just finished raining both nights before we went out and it was so nice to see the green land glisten after the rain. God has truly made Ethiopia one of the most beautiful places on earth!
The new house mother has proved to be great. She has got those kids up and going each morning and just has some great values that both Steffanie and I really appreciate. It makes it nice for me to leave knowing that she is there, and even more so for Steffanie when she finally decides to head back to the States.
There's so much more I feel I could say. I will post again sometime next week with more conclusive thoughts and additional photos that were not included in past posts!
Cheers,
Jenelle
Thursday, August 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment